Saturday 10 September 2016

Knitting Fail


My knitting projects take me a lot longer to complete than my sewing projects. I tend to start them and then pick up and put down my knitting when my mood takes me. I started knitting the Miette Cardigan by Andi Satterlund at the beginning of the year. The mood stuck me and so one day I grabbed the yarn and the pattern and got started.


The yarn was on its second incarnation, as I had previously started knitting the Simple Round Neck Sweater from Learn to Knit, Love to Knit by Anna Wilkinson. The problem is that this yarn just does not suit this knit. The yarn in question is Stylecraft Life DK in purple heather, which has a gauge of 22 sticthes to 30 rows for a 10cm square. The Miette pattern on the other hand, calls for a gauge of 16 stitches to 20 rows and recommends using Cascade Sierra. It was never going to work, so sadly I have had to ditch this project.

I have learnt a few things from this failed project: always, ALWAYS start with a tension square to check gauge and that I am able to knit a garment (or at least half). I actually managed to get most of the way down the bodice and so I am feeling confident that I am skilled enough to attempt this pattern now that I have mastered some of the techniques.


I have decided to try this knitting pattern again, however this time I will be using the correct yarn! Since Cascade Sierra is now discontinued, I will be using Cascade 220 in Azala. I've gone for a vibrant pink shade which I currently do not have in my rainbow collection of cardigans. I'm excited to get started and am just waiting for my yarn to be delivered - I will update on my progress in due course!   

No comments:

Post a Comment