Sunday 7 February 2016

Tom Baker Dr Who Scarf


My 7 year old Nephew is a massive fan of Dr Who. In his spare time, he likes to dress up as the Doctor, complete with bow tie, suspenders, jacket, fez and sonic screwdriver. It's very cute.

One Christmas, he was intrigued by me knitting and one afternoon we were looking through a book on all the Dr Who's, he spotted Tom Baker as Dr Who in his extremely long stripy scarf. He put two and two together and I ended up promising to knit him a 'Tom Baker Dr Who Sca rf'.

So for his birthday last October, there was no question that I would knit him his scarf as a gift. I've had the photos of this completed project ready to go for ages, but only just got round to sharing now! The pattern I used is the Kid's Size Dr Who Scarf by Tara Wheeler, which I found on Ravelry via a Google search.

I didn't choose the recommended Vanna's Choice Yarn as it was pricey for what is essentially a children's dressing up item. I instead used Stylecraft Special Aran, which was much more reasonably priced, which almost gave the recommended gauge. The colours I used were: Parchment 1218, Khaki 1027, Graphite 1063, Copper 1029, Camel 1402, Burgundy 1035 and Gold 1709. 


I didn't worry too much about getting gauge, I used the recommended 5mm needles but sized up to a set of 6mm needles and I cast on 25 stitches instead of 22. I just estimated it, to be honest, which is easy to do when knitting a simple scarf. 


It was a very, very easy knit and although this didn't take me many hours, due to my procrastinating I had to force myself to focus and get this knitted up. In the end I had to do some speed knitting in order to get it finished by the deadline of my nephews birthday. 


The tassels are made using 10 inch strands of all 7 colours, as I wanted them to be quite chunky. The only part of this knit that was a pain was sewing in all the ends of the stripes. However, the side effect of this is that I am now much better at sewing in the ends of my knitting! 

I was really happy with how well this turned out and I know my nephew loves it - he showed me it during a Skype call and has reported that it is very long! This is definitely one of my more successful knitting projects!

What's on your needles? 

2 comments:

  1. this is awesome! i love doctor who :D glad to hear you are doing well too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I kind of want to make myself one too, although I already have tonnes of scarves. Xx

      Delete