Saturday 27 February 2016

On my needles... Feb 2016

Whilst I haven't been able to get my teeth into any sewing projects for a while, I have been enjoying rediscovering knitting. I've always loved the idea of being able to knit my own clothes; I mostly envision vintage style cardigans.

I started knitting my first garment last summer, which I blogged about in a post on my progress in June 2015. I had decided as a beginner that I would start with the Simple Round Neck Sweater from Learn to Knit, Love to Knit by Anna Wilkinson. However, after finishing the back and getting started on the front, the project stalled.

Since I have not been feeling up to any sewing I picked up the project again but wasn't feeling inspired. I think the reason for this stems from the fact that the jumper is just not my style. I rarely wear jumpers and far prefer cardigans. I also found the pattern incredibly boring to knit ... rows and rows of stocking stitch.

I have always wanted to try Andi Sutherland's patterns and already had her free Miette pattern downloaded for my next knit. So I decided to just go for it, using the yarn from my jumper!


The tension is not what is recommended in the pattern, but in a fit of impulsiveness I just made a start one Sunday afternoon. I have enough yarn left over to complete the cardigan without having to unpick the previous jumper.


It's been great to get back into knitting. I'm currently half way down the bodice. My technique has definitely improved and I find this pattern much more challenging than the previous jumper.

I also have a second knitting project on the go ... socks! I was given a ball of stripy sock yarn for christmas by my parents in law, which came with a free pattern. I wasn't sold initially ... I would never have picked knitting socks as a project as they seem so fiddly and a little pointless!


I decided to take the yarn and some double pointed needles with me on holiday to Spain last week. It was an ideal small project which I could carry with me in my hand luggage. To my surprise I really enjoyed this project! I've completed 3/4 of the first sock and it was wonderful to watch the stripes appear in the knitting. Again, I have found this project challenged my skill level, as I have never knitted in the round before which I think has kept my interest.

So two knitting projects on the go at the moment - I just have to decided which one to prioritise!

1 comment:

  1. these are both looking great! i really should get back into knitting, i'm always looking wistfully at other people's projects! can't wait to see the finished results :)

    ReplyDelete