Monday 17 August 2015

Sweetheart T-Shirt


Something I've not sewn to date are jersey t-shirts. I've always figured that t-shirts are so cheap to buy what would be the point in making your own? Until now.

I had some scrap jersey fabric left over from making my Moneta jersey dresses and a spare afternoon and wanted a quick project, so decided to have a go at sewing a t-shirt.


The pattern is the Sweetheart T-shirt from the book Gertie Sews Vintage Casual by Gretchen Hirsch. I've had this book since Christmas but have yet to get around to sewing anything from it. I did get my Husband to photocopy the pattern sheets at his office, to save me tracing the patterns!!


The fabric I have used for this T-shirt is left over from my royal blue Moneta dress. I had very little fabric left, probably about one square meter. I managed to squeeze this t-shirt out of this by cutting the back as two pieces. I added a 5/8" seam allowance along the fold line and just sewed it up to create the back piece!


The t-shirt came together well. I used a narrow zig-zag on my machine for seams and also topstitching the neck and arm bands. This was the first time I have made a neckline like this but is very simple to do and I love the neat effect.  


I think the fit of the t-shirt is good; the fabric is very clingy so it is very fitted. I wore it for a full day after taking these photos and it was very comfortable. I can't decided whether the clingyness is due to the fabric or if I need to size up. 


The neckline is a sweetheart that starts a simple scoop neckline. To create the sweetheart you sew a small dart into the centre of neckline and then pleat and topstitch some gathers at the front of the t-shirt. I think the neckline looks flattering and I also like the cap sleeves on this t-shirt. 


I think this looks nice paired with both jeans and also tucked into a skirt. It kind of reminds me of a gymnastics leotard I used to have as a little girl, which was a similar colour.

I've really been inspired to make t-shirts. There quick, easy and only use a small amount of fabric so are not too expensive. I'm definitely going to me making some more.


There are loads of t-shirt patterns available out there. Here are some of my favourites: The Weekender Sunshine Top by Hot Patterns, The Bronte Top by Jennifer Lauren Vintages and Agnes by Tilly and the Buttons

What's your perfect t-shirt?

1 comment:

  1. This is lovely, I am scared to tackle jersey as I don't have an overlocker

    ReplyDelete