Wednesday 26 August 2015

Sewing in Pairs

I've been taking stock of my handmade wardrobe and making plans for the Autumn and Winter. My wardrobe contains a lot of items I think of as 'work clothes', which is basically anything I have that is school appropriate.

One thing I have noticed is that there is not much difference between my Spring/Summer and Autumn/Winter wardrobes, except tights. I wear the same colour palette of brights and jewel tones throughout the year but bare legs are covered with tights and bare arms are covered in cardigans.

Whilst doing this I also noticed that I sew a lot in pairs. For example:

Two Moneta Dresses: 

Two Hollyburn skirts:

Two Mimi Blouses:

Two Megan Dresses: 


I've also sewn two Alma Blouses and two round neck Simplicity Polka Dot Tops (You can see My Wardrobe here).  So why have I sewn in pairs?

Well, the answer is because generally I improve on the fit of the first make in the second one or I might make a second version because I love the first one so much. I have yet to make more than two of the same pattern.

Ironically, my sewing plans feature some more 'second time' make's and one 'third time' make. So here are my 'up and coming' sewing projects in no particular order:

  1. McCalls 6696 Shirtdress. I have some navy blue tile print bought from my trip to Walthamstow, which I would like to make into another shirtdress. This time I plan on adding short sleeves and will try pleating the skirt instead of gathering. 
  2. Love at First Stitch Mimi Blouse. This will be my third Mimi blouse which I will be making up with a beautiful navy and white heart print fabric. I have decided that the sleeves do not suit me at all, so will replaces these with the sleeves from the Megan dress. 
  3. Gertie's Vintage Casual Sleeveless Shirt.  I have made one previously (yet unblogged) and want to give this pattern another go as I think it could be a good work staple. I have some turqiouse and cerise flower print viscose to make this with. 
  4. Gertie's Vintage Casual Sweetheart t-shirt. I love this t-shirt so much and want to make another out of some left over black and white striped jersey. I've ordered a new twin needle as I'm not happy with my current one, so will have to wait until this arrives. 
I'm at the end of my summer holidays- school starts back after the bank holiday weekend- so realistically, not much of these are going to get started for a while. I've spent a lot of this week already working on school bits. I predict that I will have less projects to blog about and less time to blog once school starts, but I enjoy blogging so will continue when I can.  


What is your next sewing project?

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to be able to sew up patterns more than once, this is my main aim! I want to then play with colour blocking etc and just see how different I can make each garment from each other. Hopefully all the time I am spending on fit will mean that I can roll out finished garments pretty quickly after that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, it's all about getting the fit right and then rolling out more of the same pattern!

      Delete
  2. i absolutely love both of your hollyburn skirts! its nice to sew in pairs as well, so you have two versions of everything you love to wear :) i'm currently planning a dress to wear to my new god-daughter's christening ceremony - a BHL Kim dress xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the hollyburn skirts are a great wardrobe staple of mine. Love the BHL Kim dress - which version are you planning to make? Good luck! Xx

      Delete
    2. thank you! i've cut out the sweetheart neckline with a gathered skirt, now just have to sew it all together! xx

      Delete