Tuesday 11 August 2015

Mystery Fabric


I wanted so share this fabric that I have had in my stash for a while now, which is somewhat a mystery to me. It originally came from my Mum's stash; it was part of a bundle of fabric that my Mum saved from being thrown out at her school. It is a really beautiful turquoise leaf print on white background. The mysterious part is that I have no idea what kind of fabric it is. Cotton? Polycotton? It's very sheer and I would describe it almost as a voile. I also have another larger piece of similar turquoise voile, which I found in the remnants bin at a local fabric shop. I bought 1.7m for £4.


The problem I have is that the leaf print voile is only 25 inches wide, although it is 79 inches (2m) in length. I've been trying to think of something for which I can use this fabric. I don't really want to make it into a skirt as it is such a small print that I think would get lost, so would prefer a top or blouse. I'm also concerned about how sheer the fabric is. 

Left: Collette Sorbetto Vest, Top Right: Fifi Cami Bottom Right: Diana Cami by Spit Up and Stilettos. 
So far I've come up with either another Collette Sorbetto Vest or maybe a Diana Cami by Spit Up and Stilettos. Another idea is the Fifi Cami by Tilly and the Buttons, although I'm not sure if I would have enough fabric for this. 

So here's my plea for help: Anyone got any ideas for a garment that I can make which uses such a small amount of fabric?

4 comments:

  1. i think it would make a lovely colour blocked Fifi if you havent got enough of it for the whole thing, or just a top and then the shorts out of the plain fabric? can always add some scraps to the shorts as trim? It is a lovely pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh... that's a great idea! I hadn't thought about colour blocking. Thanks!! xx

      Delete
  2. you could make a By Hand London Polly? then you could use both the turquoise and floral fabrics, and it would be so pretty! plus its a free pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooohhhh! This is a fantastic idea - why have I never seen this pattern before? I'm already having loads of ideas for colour blocking. Thanks x

      Delete