Monday 1 June 2015

Pattern or Fabric first?

I've never been the type to fall in love with a fabric. I see fabrics that I really like but I never purchase them without a specific pattern in mind. I definitely choose my patterns first and then search about to find the perfect fabric. Partly this is down to economy and a lack of space for a stash of fabrics.

Most of my fabric purchases are online, although I have a favourite fabric shop, World of Sewing, in Tunbridge Wells. This week I've spent a lot of time doodling about on the internet, online fabric shopping. One of my favourite haunts is Oh Sew Crafty, which has an amazing array of good value fabrics.

   
 

I seem to be leaning towards floral fabrics at the moment. In particular I love the yellow and pink floral print with the black background. Once I have worked my way through my current list of projects, I intend to sew some pretty floral dresses and blouses for the summer.

But first I'll have to choose some patterns! Any suggestions?

How do you choose your sewing projects?

6 comments:

  1. i'm completely the opposite! i usually fall in love with fabric first and match it to a pattern later :) ooh floral dresses, my favourite. i like the sewaholic cambie for summer x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might try the cambie, although seems a bit bulky for hot summer days? (Here's hoping) Was thinking of trying the sewaholic saltspring if I can find some drapey fabric! x

      Delete
    2. ooh yes the saltspring would be perfect for summer, you could pair it with a denim jacket and look awesome :) i leave out the waistband on the cambie to try and minimise the bulk usually, so it's normally ok to wear in summer except on the hottest days x

      Delete
  2. i love oh sew crafty! I cannot stop buying patterns since I have been on my pinterest board (https://www.pinterest.com/scientificsewin/clothes-patterns-i-own/) is getting a bit out of hand I think...I cannot wait to get my sewing machine back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the patterns on your pinterest, what a great way of keeping a record of what patterns you already have. Hope you get your sewing machine back soon!

      Delete
    2. to be fair I fall in love with fabric too! My machine will be in London in 3 weeks! :)

      Delete