Thursday 25 June 2015

A Patchwork Project


Happy Thursday, everyone. Only one more day to the weekend! I thought I'd share a sneaky peak at my latest project.

I'm currently working on some patchwork. I used to think that patchwork was a bit ... well ... naff. They look great but it's not proper sewing ...  it doesn't produce anything useful or an item you can wear. I don't usually have time for it.

Having almost exhausted my stash of fabric, I am left with a lot of fabric that is not big enough for a garment. I have been loathed to throw any of it away as surely it can be used for something! When sorting through, I found that I had an abundance of red and blue fabrics and came up with the idea of creating a red and blue themed patchwork.


I spent a whole afternoon cutting out 4 1/4 inch squares. In total I needed 62 red squares and 62 blue squares. That's a lot of squares. Each of the squares needs to be cut into four triangles across the diagonals to create the pattern I am after. I will then alternate squares of red and blue to create a checkerboard effect.


I have to say that patchworking is incredibly hard work. Cutting out all the squares has taken a lot of time and effort. I haven't even begun piecing the patches together, but I expect that will take a while too. I don't want to say too much until the item is finished, but I think it's going to look amazing!

Have you tried any patchwork?

5 comments:

  1. like you, it seems, i've always seen patchwork as a bit more effort that it's worth! it might be a good way to use up fabric scraps though :) looking forward to seeing your finished piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it quite hard work, cutting out the small triangles of fabric and then sewing them all together. I'm not even half way through yet! Think it's going to take a while. :)

      Delete
  2. i have made a few quilts and patchwork tops - i hate the quilting part so i have got lazy and started backing in fleece, i sew the quilt top to fleece around the edges right sides together and leave a gap and turn it right way around and handstitch the gap. I then just top stitch the edges to stop it turning in on itself - soooo much quicker! This looks lovely though! Will be good to see it finished :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tip, thankyou! Will remember this for next time - I've already bought batting. :-)

      Delete
    2. It isn't as good finish as a real quilt but its wayyyy less tedious! I have copied you though, I am in the middle of making a top and the left overs I have left out and I will cut some small squares and start racking the squares up for a quilt of my own. I have decided its a long term project :)

      Delete