Wednesday 4 March 2015

Sewing Plans

I once dragged my husband all the way to Fabric Land in Brighton, with the intention of buying some jersey type fabric. In the end I didn't buy any knit fabrics - I totally scared myself out of it by rationalising that I didn't see anything I liked. Everything was either the wrong colour or texture or thickness or too shiny. So come January I decided to make my new years resolution to learn how to sew knits.

After having made this resolution I then did nothing about it. Until last weekend, when I again dragged The Husband to another fabric shop, this time in Tunbridge Wells. And yes, this time I managed to conquer my fear and buy some knit fabric. 

Sewing World has a whole section dedicated to Jersey and fleece fabric so there was plenty to choose from. So here's what I've added to my stash:

1. Royal Blue Jersey


This was the colour I had in mind when I first started to look out for knit fabrics. It's lovely and soft, but I cannot for the life of me remember how much stretch it is. 3%? This is destined to become a basic t-shirt - I figured I would do this first and start simple!


2. Black and White Stripe Jersey


The bolt of fabric was hidden at the bottom of a pile and I had to fairly wrestle it out from underneath. I asked for 1.5m and there was just about that left, so I even gained a little bit extra! It was destined. 
I've already got all the paraphernalia to sew knit fabrics - ball point needles and a twin needle. I've been reading up on various blogs, so the only thing I need now is to get some patterns. 

For the t-shirt, I'm torn between Sewaholic's Renfrew top or SBCC's free Tonic T-shirt pattern. 

 

I know the Renfrew top has great reviews and I know from previous experience how well designed the Sewaholic patterns are. I'm not so sure about the band around the bottom and seeing as we are coming into Spring/Summer I would like something I can wear with skirts. I like the simple clean lines of the Tonic pattern and think it would suit my needs so I'm leaning towards this pattern right now. 


For the black stripey fabric I'm planning to make a Jersey dress. I have some RTW Jersey dresses and whilst the top is ok, they are soooo short, I can't wear them without leggings. Not great in the hot summer. It is still a toss up betweeen Collette's Moneta Dress or Lady Skater by Kitschy Coo. I love the different sleeve variations of the Lady Skater dress but really like the gathered waistline of the Moneta dress. Decisions, decisions!!

3. Blue cotton


I made The Husband a shirt last October and although he wears it, he would ideally like a more fitted shirt - the sleeves look a bit 90's. So the other day he comes home from work and proudly tells me he has brought himself a shirt pattern from John Lewis. 



The fabric he has chosen is a nice light navy cotton. It is similar to the fabric I bought for the last shirt I made him so I know it will sew and wash nicely. The fabric below is destined for the insides of the collar and cuffs. The Husband picked this out ages ago as he liked it at the time, so me making a second shirt was always in the plans!!  

Fabric for the collars and cuffs!

So lots of sewing planned at the moment! I just need to find the time to put them into action. I am hoping to have a sewing session this Saturday - I really, really want to get started on the green Megan dress I have planned but haven't got round to sewing. If I don't hurry up soon, I won't get any wear out of it this season. At some point I'm planing on updating you all on my knitting adventures too! 

2 comments:

  1. i hacked the sewaholic renfrew to make a jersey dress and it went surprisingly well for my first knit project! i would definitely recommend that pattern :) good luck with the sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! I'm not sure about hacking patterns yet but I love your jersey dress :-)

      Delete