Thursday 19 February 2015

Chambray lace collar blouse

Ta da!! I did some sewing!

Hello, everyone. I'm back into the swing of things and have finally completed a garment this year. This blouse has taken forever! I started making the blouse in January, but due to work constraints didn't manage to get very far. I spent one Saturday afternoon cutting out and interfacing, another constructing the collar and then finally finished it this week.

So here is my first make of 2015, slightly delayed though it is!



The pattern is the Alma Blouse by Sewaholic. I have made this blouse previously, see this post.  For my first attempt I made the cap sleeve version, but had horrible fitting issues. They turned out majorly puffy and not at all the pretty sleeves I had imagined. I still like my first Alma blouse and wear it none the less, but planned to change the sleeves on my next version. So this time I made the sleeves in the elbow length.



The fabric is a lovely soft Cotton Denim Chambray from Calico Laine. I initially ordered a slightly thicker/darker Chambray to make a Clemence Skirt for the summer, but it wasn't in stock and I was able to exchange my order for this chambray instead.

When it arrived I knew it wouldn't be suitable for a skirt and started envisioning the perfect chambray blouse. I was inspired when I saw this Tutorial by Handmade Jane for adding a lace collar. I have totally stolen the design for her blouse. Jane's tutorial was brilliant- really easy to follow, with clear instructions and photos.

Pinning the lace around the collar. 

I had started with some pretty cream crochet lace but it turns out I didn't have enough to go around the whole collar. So instead I used some lace that I bought when on holiday in Brugues, last October. Anyone else always manage to drag whoever they are on holiday with to the nearest haberdashery?

Overall, I'm pleased with my blouse. The construction was easier the second time around, particularly the collar. I think it's been finished really well - no wonky seams  or topstitching (!) and I used my overlocker foot to finish the internal seams neatly. The invisible zip is also virtually invisible (sorry, no pics) and definitely the best I've ever inserted. This is due one of my christmas pressies - an invisible zip foot, which definitely made the whole process easier.


My only concern comes not from a construction point of view but from a stylistic point of view. The collar is BIG. I was worried it was too much of a statement, but in the end I decided to own it and wore it out for dinner last night. I need not have worried as I received a compliment and an astonished 'wow, really!?' when I told them I had made it myself.

Sewing wise - a successful start to 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment